According to Medline Plus, headaches are the most common form of pain. Most people have experienced a headache and it is a major reason for missed work and school days. The most common forms of headaches are tension, cluster, migraines, and sinus. Of course, life-threatening conditions such as stroke and aneurysm can also cause head pain and need to be ruled out. Check out this list of natural remidies!
- Cold compresses– helpful when the pain is caused by inflammation or swelling. For instance, a sinus headache can cause swelling of the sinuses above and below the eyes. Headaches caused by dilation of the blood vessels can also respond to cold.
- Ginger supplements and tea– gingerol, the active ingredient in ginger is an anti-inflammatory and therefore can decrease pain. It is also a digestive aid, and since some headaches are caused by digestive problems, it can help alleviate the pain.
- Hydration– this is a key component to overall health. Water and electrolytes are necessary for survival. Drink spring water and water with a high pH for optimal hydration.
- Magnesium– this is a natural muscle relaxer, therefore can help reduce and prevent headaches, as well as other conditions caused by muscle spasms. Foods high in magnesium include; avocado, spinach, quinoa, almonds, chia seeds, kale and halibut.
- Chiropractic and craniopathy– this can help many types of headaches, including tension headaches, migraines, headaches are by TMJ (temporomandibular joint) dysfunction.
Anytime there is pain, there is inflammation. Many things can cause inflammation and sometimes headaches have multiple causes. For instance, a headache can be caused by muscle spasm and aggravated by food allergy, which also causes inflammation. Therefore, anything that reduces inflammation can help reduce and or prevent a headache.
To book and/or interview Dr. Perillo, please contact:
Socialminded Media Group