According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, 40-60 million people in the U. S. suffer from allergic rhinitis or hay fever. You can develop an allergy at any age and your best defense is to live a healthy lifestyle.
Here we share a few ways of how to reduce exposure to allergens and holistic treatment options.
1. Prevent or reduce exposure to allergens (what you are allergic to)- stay indoors as much as possible, wear a mask, keeping living space vacuumed and dust free
2. Diet- Eating foods that enhance your immune system. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, foods that contain healthy oils, such as fish, avocado, nuts, seeds and olive oil, and using herbs that are anti-inflammatory like turmeric and cumin.
3. Hydrate – Every cell in your body needs water. Drinking half your body weight in water is the rule of thumb. For instance, a 150lb person should drink 75 ounces of water a day. And that means plain old water. Sounds like a lot but your body needs it
4. Exercise- improves lung capacity and helps your body release chemicals that boost the immune system.
5. Sleep- adequate sleep allows your body to repair and it boost your immune system
6. Use a cool mist humidifier or vaporizer- keeping the nasal passages moist prevents the allergens from entering the sinuses